Friday, March 10, 2006

Well yeah, I love football...

As this is the first football posting I've made, we're going to kick this puppy off right - with one of my favorite jock stories I've ever heard. We're pulling out all the stops.

My college roommate, Nick had an older brother, Vince, who graduated from college in the spring of 1996 as we were entering. Vince is a great guy and like all the men in his family tells a hell of a story.

Vince was the one who talked me into applying for a spot at Green Bay Packers training camp, having done the job for a few years and he tells the story of Travis Jervey, a stereotypical surfer (but born in South Carolina) who had gone to school at the Citadel before he was drafted in 1995.

I can't begin to explain Jervey in a nutshell, but he was a very chill guy who would wander around camp in flip flops and a ratty visor, was really mellow with staff and his teammates and I thought it was pretty cool when he made the Pro Bowl as a special teamer in 1997.

Seeing that he'd been to the Citadel and looking for info on the rookie class (it gets really slow in the summertime for reporters, especially in week two or three of camp), one of the reporters was talking to Jervey and asking questions about his college career.

Then, he was asked something to the effect of, "Wow, the Citadel, Travis? That must have been a great experience. What was you fvorite course you took there? Did you have any favorite books?"

Travis took a second to take it all in, flashed a lazy smile and said, "Well, yeah... (long puase) I love football!" and was done for the day.

To this day I don't know if it was an attention problem or just a way to break free before he had to talk about personal questions that were sure to follow.

(Photo from SI.com)

No comments: