Friday, March 24, 2006

Reminds me of college in a lot of ways...

I'm e-mailing with a good friend today and we're going back and forth about being run down and Ike Turner-ed by life. While I sympathize with him, I will be as happy as anyone that the weekend is here, not that it really matters because I only really do eight hours of volunteer "work" a week these days.

Enjoy (allowances have been made for the sake of grammar and overall clarity) -

Tuesday I'm at the shelter and if you've never had the pleasure, puppy shit is the worst. Just unmistakeable, gross, stinking shit. Worse that full-grown
shit, even the Katrina dogs with worms smelled better. Yeah. So, I get to clean this up for free because otherwise the dogs cover themselves in shit and piss and that sucks because they aren't as adoptable caked in their own feces. Go figure.

I go into squeegee out a kennel and this puppy is really happy to see me and comes crashing over, because he's a dumb lab and that's what dumb labs do. Where do his canoe paddle paws land? Right in the puddle of piss in the kennel, splashing up and hitting me in the eye.

While this is unfortunate, it's not like you can just up and leave in the middle of your shift over it. You just get a bit grossed out for a minute and go back to cleaning up the kennel. The strange thing is that I wasn't the least bit flustered - I think I wiped it off on my sleeve, thought "Well, damn..." and concentrated on where the dog was headed next.

There is no way to adequately convey the level of acceptance that the world is kicking you around and humping your anus than when you get dog urine in your eye, you receive no compensation for such misfortunes and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, just like college, except it was usually your piss being splashed onto others. Well, not so much "splashed onto" as "intentially directed at." Insert "Golas" wherever "puppy" appears, and that pretty much sums up college.

Anonymous said...

There's a special place in heaven for you :o)