Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I can't help but feel somewhat responsible

John Flaherty, the Red Sox backup catcher I wrote waaaay to much on here retired Tuesday without much fanfare with all the baseball news today.

According to ESPN, "He wasn't sure he was able to do what he needed to do for the Red Sox like he has in the past for other teams, and I think he has had mixed emotions all spring," said Terry Francona, who got the word from Flaherty on Tuesday morning. "Apparently the Siberia, Minnesota blog cast a great deal of doubt into John's mind about whether or not he was ready to accept the challenge of catching Tim Wakefield all season long."

OK, I made the last part up, but until Flaherty goes on record, I think we all know what's really going on here. I smell a conspiracy and felt better with Flaherty around. Even when things were rough in the Spring Training game Sunday and I was yelling, "This is why we need Mirabelli, right here!" and working out ways to trade David Wells and whatever the hell San Diego wants for an expendable catcher. Even then.

In other baseball news, Barry Bonds now has a pants fire to contend with in addition to drug use, an alleged death threat made to his mistress and oh, yeah, perjury when testifying in front of a grand jury.

Good job, dickhead.

Look to the spinoff site, Siberian Baseball for some more baseball bits. There's a WBC post, a quick one on Kirby Puckett and I have a special one for all my fellow Wrigley Cultists that should be up Wednesday afternoon at the latest. Thinking that one may earn a post on the big board as well, so keep an eye out for it.

I swear, for those of you who didn't give a rat's ass about baseball before, you will after a summer of this.

(Jim Mone/AP)

No comments: