Friday, April 21, 2006

You are now free to move about the globe, if your balls are big enough

Southwest Airlines is making noises like it might be ready for international flights in addition to its current schedules to Chicago, Washington, DC and really, nowhere else of note. This is after the apparent addition of flights to Washington Reagan airport, which wasn't an option when I lived out east.

Want a simple, easy definition of, "That's a bitch?" Try working out the math on whether it's cheaper to fight traffic to Baltimore, park for a few days and fly Southwest or just fly out of town. Granted, it's just an hour or so to get up there on a good day, but ny past or current Northern Virginia residents will tell you there's really no such thing.

Also, don't get me started on Maryland drivers. I'm pretty sure their license plates are designed the way they are as a "do not touch" kind of thing, like bees and hornets.

A few years ago, ATA "went international" and everyone at Midway got drunk for about a week as they celebrated their new international status. Yes, Mexico is another nation, but it seemed kind of misleading that a move such as that would count as international flights.

It's like calling the Indianapolis Colts a "championship football team." Well, yes, you did win your division, but you did the bare minimum to earn that title.

I just wonder about Southwest sometimes. While they are a cheap airline and I kind of enjoy the festival seating concept, they always seem to be on that fine line between safe and ABC Movie of the Week waiting to happen. Let me state that I have never seen any evidence that they are anything but a safe, smart airline(don't sue me), but it just always makes me a little uneasy.

The thought of them crossing oceans and such? I just got a shiver down my spine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll give Southwest this much: their frequent flyer program kicks ass. I got a free ticket after just 4 round-trips. Miles don't matter - you just get a credit for each trip on the plane that you take and there are certain periods during the year where you get double credits. I parlayed a couple of business trips to St. Louis and Columbus, Ohio into a free ticket to anywhere Southwest flies to (translation: I got a free ticket to Vegas for barely flying anywhere).

Meanwhile, I can trade my thousands of American Airlines miles for an upgrade to a large Pepsi on my next trip.

Matt G said...

See, I've been OK with American. Besides having family ties that mean my dollar to American comes back to me at Christmas time in the form of a table saw, I took a few flights to and from the east coast and can now rent a car for a free weekend - not too shabby.
Also, they allow you to earn miles for car rentals and hotel stays - I'm starting to see Southwest as the Discover card of airlines.