Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It's not goodbye, just hello less often

The long winter is over. Both literally and figuratively, the long, cold days of little sun and claustrophobia are drawing to a close with warm weather and a new job.

After nearly six months of unemployment, I've taken a new job and start tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, a newspaper came in too late with an interview request after I was already waiting for a possible offer from the new place. As they say, "A bird in the hand lets you pay your insurance bills and get a new intake system for your truck."

It also cuts into blogging, video game, truck repair and woodworking time - fucking birds.

The truth is that I like doing this, even if the core readers are people I e-mail regularly, anyways. The long and the short of it is that I have no real plans to stop writing, maybe just in the way I've been doing things.

This means more weekend posts - possibly saving them in draft form and publishing nightly to try and keep at least one new post per day. There's something very satisfying about logging in and seeing a post or three a day and I'd like to keep that going. It may be a lot less lightning reactions to CNN as it happens or baseball as an in-game piece, but that's OK.

If anything a little more time to polish my ideas isn't so bad. I can edit them a bit and cool off if need be, so I think the overall product will be better in the long run.

That said, I'll miss multiple posts per day and plan on checking in some evenings. In addition, being back in a tech environment will open a lot more doors mentally and if you all play nice, I might post hacks for amping the hell out of your home stereo and how to make an LCD projector, MacGyver style. I'm already planning a few big entries on video games and their continuing impact on society (relying heavily on Wired's recent opus on the subject) and a few more bits and pieces.

Just probably not this week - in the office by 8 a.m.? Dude, that used to be my bedtime a week ago.

(Photo from Wikipedia.org)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only you'd heard the pogostick lesbian humping, you could have gone to work on Wednesday a happier man, but you would have been smirking all day long.

Congrats.

Unknown said...

It's almost sad... almost...