Sunday, April 16, 2006

Killing me with kindness

I was taking a nap Friday afternoon and with the really spectacular weather we're seeing, the windows are all open. It's really been kind of nice and the house is good and aired out after a winter that had beaten me into submission on several levels.

The dog is still getting used to the sounds that bombard the house because there is not ambient noise here. Let's just say that we can hear people opening cans of soda two blocks away because there is no natural noise caused by the usual hallmarks of civilization.

Well, across the street on the corner was a lemonade stand with a herd of little chattering monkeys running about, shouting about it. I say if I can get nasty letters from neighbors and the city about my dog barking at 2 p.m. on a weekend because it interrupts some little booger-eater's nap, I should have some avenue to complain when these little cretins run wild in our neighborhood, but I digress.

The point is that you can hear really, really well here and what were the kids yelling? "Free lemonade! Free lemonade!"

Free? Are you fucking kidding me? Free?

Minnesota nice is a strange and dangerous thing. It both confuses and terrifies me.

(Graphic from: econedlink.org)

No comments: