Friday, October 06, 2006

Jeopardy! A lifetime of shame

Remember Ken Jennings? The guy who ran up the score on Jeopardy! He has a blog.

Well really, who doesn't?

It's worth a quick giggle and one of these days I need to compile an All-Star Team of pseudo-celebrity blogs. I'll probably post a picture of a train wreck next to it.

That's not why I'm checking in today, the real reason is something that's rattled around in my head for a few weeks now - how badly it'd suck to be on Jeopardy.

A friend of The Girl's is dating a guy who just got word that he'll be on Jeopardy! (enough with the exclamation points, already! Damn, I did it again.) and I have nothing but an uneasy feeling in my gut for the poor bastard.

Remember the school spelling bees in grammar school? And how the smartest kid in the class always seemed to bow out pretty quickly? Then for weeks, people would badger them about the two L's in llama or how to spell "yacht?" Well, do you think any of us have grown up at all?

Forget the outright jerks of the world, what about the well-meaning tactless yokels?

Let's say for the sake of discussion that the answer Alex wants is Vitamin E and you guess Vitamin B - do you think you'd hear the end of that within a year? A decade? A lifetime?

I'd like to be enough of a grown up to say that the reason I'll not appear on the show is that the process or my lack of general knowledge, but instead I'll blame my friends and coworkers. If you guys weren't suck pricks, I'd totally be on easy street by now.

(Photo from cbsnews.com)

No comments: