Thursday, July 13, 2006

The kicker is it will probably work, too

I grew up with watering restrictions that drove my next door neighbor, Dan, crazy.

He might not have had a true green thumb (most of the veggies and such that he grew were essentially weeds that take off with dirt and water) he took a lot of pride in what he did. I can respect that. Much love, one people, etc.

His grass was always the greenest on the block and a combination of weed and feed and gallon upon gallon of water kept it that way. He must have spent hundreds of extra dollars a summer to keep it that green through mid-July when the inevitable water ban drove him to distraction.

He'd be at wit's end by August and if there had been a way to buy water contracts like sugar rations in 1945, he'd have bought hundreds to water every day instead of every other.

What Chicago and the suburbs usually do is to offer even and odd or opposite side of the street schedules so that only half the residents who would be watering the lawn do so daily. Pretty smart plan from a village perspective.

Up here, not so much.

While I water off and on, it's been really dry lately and I've been putting the sprinkler out at night. Today when I saw in the Star Tribune that watering bans were going into effect, I clicked the link, opting to not start another war with city services after the recycling incident.

This is what I found:

The continuing heat has some Minnesota communities imposing water restrictions. In Waconia, all outdoor watering has been temporarily banned. Litchfield is asking residents to voluntarily reduce lawn watering because the city's water supply needs to be conserved in case of a fire or other emergency.

So I don't have to listen to you at all, you're just asking me voluntarily to not waste water? Heh... Reminds me of the time Homer went to the museum.

(Image from: www.why-is-the-sky-blue.tv)

No comments: