Thursday, July 27, 2006

Explosives are the new water

OK, so from what I've been told (and checking severa; local papers around the country every day) most people outside of the Twin Cities have no idea this is going on. When I called my dad the other day, he seemed kind of surprised, too and Lord knows he's big on watching the news before bed.

Such a grown up kind of thing to do.

Anyways - and I'm not sure how alarmed I should be by this - the Boundary Waters are on fire. Well, not the actual waters part of it, but the tree upon tree upon bear upon tree part of it. Also, Canada is crossing its fingers that the whole thing doesn't become their problem soon.

And we're having a drought.

And there's a lot of other issues involved.

So, what better way to clean up this type of fiery mess than to blow the ever-loving hell out of it.

Oh yeah, this is the kind of great idea I'd have had in college. Have I mentioned that I drank enough to sink a battleship in college? And had tons of bad ideas. Honestly, I once said the words, "Easy... I'm sure I'll sober up for the final..."

Like I said, I'm not sure how serious this is - there's a better than even chance that this comes and quickly blows every year like bird migrations and Bears playoff hopes. Still, something seems inherently flawed in the logic behind creating fire breaks using 1/2 inch explosive cord to clear brush.

Like buying shellfish from a gas station flawed.

(Image from kare11.com)

No comments: