Thursday, March 01, 2007

Go ahead, ask me about Pike's Peak

With time to kill until tomorrow afternoon's flight home - the Grade 3 Killstorm hitting Minneapolis is in full swing - I headed down to the Pioneer Museum in town to give us something to do until dinner.

Also, when I invited challengers to ask me "anything" about Pike's Peak in the title of this post, I should narrow that down to two key facts as those are the only ones I actually absorbed about the mountain.

1.) Pike's Peak is named after a dude named Pike - Zebulon Montgomery Pike - who never even set foot on the f-ing mountain!

That's like someone naming the Grand Canyon after you because you drove by it... Rip city.

2.) The "Purple Mountains' Majesty" referenced in America the Beautiful? Pike's Peak.

The courthouse across the street is shaped like a big "H" so that the statue of the lady who wrote the song - Katharine Lee Bates - can still "see" the mountain. (U of I readers, just imagine FAR, but with a mountain behind it instead of buildings).

My only regret is that the gift shop closed a half hour before the museum did. I can only imagine the awesomeness that comes from rocking a Katharine Lee Bates t-shirt to work on Monday.



(Photo from: WildForever.com)

No comments: