Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Your NHL Champion... Ducks?

I broke down and watched the end of tonight's game to see the Stanley Cup get passed around and it was a little weird not knowing any of the year's storylines or even who was on the teams (turns out a guy I covered in Junior A was on the losing Senators).

One of the greatest traditions in sports is that as a Cup winner, you get it for at least a day, to bring it home, drive it downtown in a parade, feed a horse out of it, launch it into a pool or whatever you damn well please. (those are all true stories, btw).

If I were prone to captions on this blog, I'd surely make a "What's been filled with weirder stuff - the Cup or Lohan?" reference, but I'm not that savvy with the coding.

At any rate, it was nice to see guys who grew up dreaming of the Cup, for whom this all still means a great deal. While I've written off the sport, rating continue to free fall and your last two Cup winners are Carolina and Anaheim - ahem... that's just unnatural - it's still cool to see.

For a guy who never watches hockey, it's pretty silly to have a whole tag devoted to it on this blog, huh?

(Image from NHL.com)

No comments: