Sunday, May 13, 2007

Putting up, so I don't have to shut up

So, after writing about all the things we should be doing to help keep the earth all shiny and springtime fresh, I got the bug to finally follow through on a compost pile in the backyard.

I did literally dozens of minutes of research, found out I could go nab a few dock palates from work, lash them together and dump a bunch of crap in the middle of them and not have to bag up grass clippings.

I was sold.

For good measure, I made an unholy racket of pulling slats off to give the bottoms more of a post setup - and to piss off the neighbors - and dug a shallow hole to make sure the posts will stay put.

All told, I did the project for a few cents in gas, twine and opportunity cost of not curing some major disease - I bet that would help the earth's citizens, too.

My only experience with compost piles are my grandfather throwing all sorts of shit in there to eventually break down and a science class in junior high where we measured the temperature in the middle of the pile and theoretically learned something. I know I sure did!

So, I'll keep you posted here as to whether this is the first step to a cleaner, greener me or if I simply create a small, localized Union Stockyard type stench that precipitates many more letters from the city as the neighbors complain and are made sick by our little pile of rotting shit.

See? Win-win.

(Image from gnb.ca)

No comments: