Monday, January 22, 2007

What bad, bad news

As if my ongoing struggles to outsmart the Comcast DVR in the bedroom weren't enough heartbreak on the cable television front, now there's this news from Deadspin.

Major League Baseball sold the rights to its games to Direct TV for the next seven years.

Those sons of bitches.

I know they can't just give the money back, but honestly, this has taken away one of the few things I really enjoy in this world. Being able to watch Cubs and Red Sox baseball all summer, in addition to the literally hundreds of other games was one of life's little pleasures and it's gone now.

No more watching most of the Opening Day games, no more following the Red Sox daily and back to the dark ages of bookmarking the Cubs schedule on WGN's Superstation, which is only really good for a quarter of the televised games anyways.

I know that it can sound like I'm playing this for laughs, but this is seriously a major shock to my system. I am so full of anger right now that I'm seriously considering calling the Twins and telling them to take their season ticket package and shove it straight up their greedy, enabling asses.

EA Sports locking in the Madden Monopoly was a shame.

This is nothing short of a national tragedy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The simple solution to this is getting DirecTV, which in my opinion is vastly superior. I'm telling you, DirecTV has treated me a whole lot better than any other cable company that I've ever had. I've received better service with lower prices (that stay in effect for more than just the introductory period) for the exact same channels. I don't know where some of the vitriol against DirecTV has come from considering that Comcast is the worst cartel on the planet next to OPEC.

Matt G said...

OK< I just left a huge comment that Blogger ate, but the brass tacks are this:

To get TV, high speed internet and VOIP, we can't go the Direct TV route.

Until someone can do that, we're stuck with the cartels.

The whole thing seems counterproductive to me - why wouldn't you want to have your product seen by as many people as possible? Is the cash in hand that important?

Unknown said...

Unless things have improved drastically in the last couple of years (which is entirely possible), the bottom line is that DirecTV service is abysmal.

When it rains, no service. When it snows, no service. At one point, I went six weeks without any channels because something faulted and I couldn't get a tech out. Granted, this was in NC, where every afternoon promised a rainstorm, but their service is, unfortunately, weather-dependent.

DirecTV's customer support likely trumps Time Warner's (whose doesn't?), but I still opt for the latter over static every time weather is inclement.

Unknown said...

"DirecTV sucks major donkey balls".

This from all my friends with DirecTV or said balls...

My house is covered by a canopy of 100 year old maple trees. DirecTV came out and told me to get Comcast...

I am fucking pissed.