Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Happy Birthday Post

It was exactly a year ago today that this whole beautiful mess got up and running here at Siberia, Minnesota.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did start sifting through the old posts to throw together a Top 10 favorites post here, but I'm such a narcisistic bastard that it would have been a.) disgustingly self-indulgent and congratulatory and b.) about 37 to 45 items long, so I scrapped that idea pretty quickly.

Instead, I'll just share what I found by looking back with quiet reflection and the perspective that a year on the frozen plains gives you.

* There were a lot of hit and miss posts. Some were pretty well thought out and borderline worthwhile and then there were the others that were fueled by the thought that, "Crap, I haven't posted in almost a week." and just churned out to take up space.

Still, one of my favorites was only one line about how if I could invent an adhesive that stuck as well as a human booger, I'd be one rich mother.

* I think the baseball spinoff was a pretty good idea. It's been a lot more work, but kept it from taking over the site. That said, I still have a lot of crap thrown up there, too as well. More than here though. Much more than here.

* Somewhere along the way this summer, I realized how much I enjoyed writing again. That's when I think the overall tone changed from "LISTEN TO ME!" to just writing for myself. I think the writing got a lot better after that.

* While we're talking about tone, man, I had a really bad attitude about being here off the bat. I'm surprised I wasn't deported now. It is what it is, but it was getting pretty ugly for a while there.

* I can't believe how much I write about something on TV or that I heard about from TV. It's a lot - you can check it yourself... a lot.

* I think some of my favorites are the long posts about history. It should make sense that the posts that run long are the ones I'm most into (duh) but the ones with a historical base are the most fun.

* Finally, I'm pretty happy that I'm still doing this a year later. I'd thought when I went back to work that the blog would start collecting dust and eventually just die on the vine, but it's been nice to find time to vent, think or write. It's been pretty good for keeping my mind moving and giving me something to work on in my head during the day other than work.

Being able to kick an idea around all day and put it down in the evening has been a lot of fun.

(Photo from MichaelThompson.org)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been a good year--and your point about writing for yourself is so true. Now I just need to practice what I preach, instead of the vitriol that often ends up at that site I have.