Sunday, November 12, 2006

A house divided

I'm going to take a bath in my Pick 'Em league this week.

With losses by New England, Kansas City and Minnesota, I took a big dump at the top half of my picks for the week. The only reason I'm not a complete basket case tonight is because of that last one.

Green Bay beat the Vikings and I couldn't be more pleased.

In our house, I can get pretty geeked up over football, especially later in the fall and to combat this, The Girl made no secret of her rooting interests from the first fall we were together.

Already today I've compared the team and its fans to all sorts of nasty things/groups and may or may not have crossed several lines in doing so. I also mentioned loudly on several occasions that the Vikes were behind because they were bad people.

I spent most of the game by myself or with the dog.

Still, for having such low expectations, it's been a good week. The team isn't as awful as I'd thought and they're stealing a win here and there. I have no illusions about the end of the season game in Chicago, but at least now I'm not shrinking in disgust. It's a dangerous place to be as a fan.

Tonight though, it's a happy time - even when The Girl ramps up her cheering for the Vikings dependent on the score of the games - and the Favre Watch on Packers.com seems a little less ridiculous.

It wasn't Packers/Bears and the fans play possum a little too much for my liking (just listen for the air to come out of the building when Minnesota goes down by more than two otuchdowns next time) but it was a nice win. I was pretty excited to see Favre jumping around like old times. I wasn't even that irked about the play calling which seemed like a kid picking up the controller at Best Buy to demo the new Madden game - Uhh... the only reciever I know is Driver and he's good, right?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to write 23-17 in the dirt on the truck door before I head to work tomorrow. Let's just say I might be looking forward to a Monday for a change.

(Photo from jumpandphilshh.com)

No comments: