Tuesday, September 19, 2006

That Theory of Relativity sure is a hard nut to crack

I can still remember a discussion in grammar school about learning and the general quest for knowledge when one of my teachers told us there was a time in world history where a person could conceivably know everything there was to know.

The point of the story was that as dilligent little students we could study, experiment and learn every hour of the day, never stopping to eat or sleep and never would we be able to equal that. There was just too much to see, do and learn that as long as we kept working and studying, there'd always be something more just over the horizon.

The initial point made is something that has always stuck with me and it'll come to mind from time to time, moreso when I'm watching PBS or reading something to better myself appear to better myself to an outside observer.

Tonight I was bitch-slapped by Albert Einstein and a two-hour episode of Nova. While I might not be able to know everything anymore, I have serious doubts that I'll ever be able to wrap my head around relativity.

Like, ever.

There are some things that are just beyond my capability to grasp them and I'll probably just need to come to terms with that. Einstein's theory of relativity might be one of those things.

The high points to make you the hit of any nerd-centric dinner party are as follows:

* Einstein contended that the speed of light was the universal speed limit and that any energy expended to go any faster will result in an increase in mass.

* He was 26 in 1905 when he wrote five papers, including his theory of relativity, the quantum theory of light and essentially that Newton was off in his theories.

* When these theories began making their way around the world, the physics community didn't now how to react. He essentially rewrote the rules on how the universe worked. He completely shattered everything we thought we knew about energy and matter and did so quickly.

I guess while I can get a good grasp on history and other facets of the world at large, physics might require more than a few hours on PBS here and there. I learned that leasson the hard way when two hours wasn't enough to become a minor expert on string theory.

Something tells me this would all be easier if I'd paid more attention in physics class instead of fucking around and trying to make Frankie laugh.

(Photo from PBS.org)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your antics in physics class led me to build the worst toothpick bridge ever. That thing couldn't hold a corn flake.

Matt G said...

I know enough about friction coefficients to know that my new truck tires are badass...