Friday, September 01, 2006

Is this a good post? Yes... no

It was Spring 1999 and I dragged my drunken ass into the living room at 803 Third Street where the girls who lived there were watching what was a cool, underground indie movie. Luckily, I not only knew them, but we were friends. Back in the day, I tended to wander onto private property and into strangers' homes and it didn't always end well. The gals told me I'd think it was funny, but that I wouldn't get it until I was a senior.

That's when it became a defining movie in my life.

The movie was Kicking and Screaming.

They were right about needing a year to let things soak in. However, they also should have warned me that I wouldn't get it until I was sober, either. Honestly, I didn't know the flashbacks were actually flashbacks until I'd seen the movie at least twice.

Alcohol is a hell of a drug, bitches.

As this was 1999, there was no steaming shitbomb of a film starring Will Ferrell as a youth soccer coach to cloud the issue. It was a simpler time, a better time.

(Side note: Watch the other, Ditka-related version at least once. It's worth a couple of bucks at least).

I'd like to go on and on about the movie and how good it is. Trust me, it's good. You should see it. If you don't, you should be very, very ashamed of yourself as a human being.

It's finally out on DVD this month after years of being available only on IFC or on a VHS tape. Still, after years of living in the movie, I still really love it and think the jokes are just as funny. Every now and again, I even find myself haunted by Max's words, "What I use to able to pass off as a bad summer could now potentially turn into a bad life."

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's illegal in some states to go through your 20s without seeing this movie if you're from my generation, but you might need to check your local laws on that. Give it a week or so until I send back my copy to Netflix, but I might do that tomorrow and go buy a copy, which is what you should be doing in the first place.

Then, I just sit back and wait for Penn and Teller Get Killed to come out on DVD next. Now, that will be a red letter day.

(Image from AustinChronicle.com)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you see the Sports Guy write about this on Friday? See #10:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060901