Monday, May 08, 2006

With musical guest...

In my advancing age, I’ve found little to no motivation to get out on the weekends anymore. Some of it is new town creepiness, some of it is trying to figure out which bands tour through and which local acts are good and some of it is out and out apathy.

OK, most of it is out and out apathy.

However, by staying in, I’m catching Saturday Night Live on a more consistent basis, basically for the first time since that sixth, seventh and eighth grade window where you were old enough to stay up, but not to go out and it’d be the talk of Sunday school. A running joke lifted directly from Mad Magazine was that the musical act of the night was a famous band playing an obscure song or an unknown band playing a chart-rocketing hit. There really was no middle ground.

Enter the Red Hot Chili Peppers Saturday night – opening with their new single and choosing the old standby, Give It Away for their second set. It’s getting kind of strange to see these guys hanging on, waiting to claim the mantle from the Rolling Stones as the oldest touring rock band. At least Flea is wearing pants these days. I bet 45-year-old balls in a tube sock would be a little hard to sell as rock ‘n’ roll. Well, moreso than Mic Jagger as a grandfather.

On Sunday morning, I was on iTunes, burning in another round of CDs for a newer iPod and saw that the first song from the Peppers was at number five or six to start the day. It had moved up a spot by that afternoon. This begs the question that I usually contemplate when some of the lower profile bands (Fallout Boy comes to mind) are given the mic on national television once a week.

I’m continuing my search to try and correlate single sales and appearances on SNL in an effort to justify my sloth on Saturday nights. If it still matters, it’s still a reason to stay home.

If not, I’ve just lost my edge.

No comments: