Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Six of one, half dozen of another

At the suggestion of a co-worker I took the backroads home today to avoid the "traffic" on the highways in Minneapolis.

I use snooty quotes there because I moved from Washington, DC to Chicago in consecutive moves, so a rolling 5 to 10 miles per hour isn't so bad to me.

Guess it's about the perspective.

Burnt pizza doesn't smell so bad if you just performed a David Blaine stunt and stuck your head in a cow's ass for two weeks, either.

The last quarter of the drive is live motoring across a rich guy's lawn, so all told it's not half bad. While the running joke is that the Minneapolis parks system is cheating because it's just land no one was going to use anyways with a parks sign on it, I have to hand it to them. While on a different scale than I'm used to and in a strange setting, it's really enjoyable.

Beats the freeway stacks and odd traffic patterns and though it actually adds five minutes to the nighttime drive, I think I'll be using it more.

Then again, anything is better than a 20-minute commute for two miles* that I had in Northern Virginia.

* No lie - 20 minutes to go two miles... consistiently.

(Photo from www.ece.umn.edu)

No comments: