Saturday, December 16, 2006

Weekend in paradise

While spending two days away from home - in a town I'll refrain from metioning by name, but within 45 minutes of Green Bay -I learned a few things:

* If you own a mailbox shaped like a bass, don't assume you'll be able to use it as a landmark when giving directions to friends. For example, if you were to say, "Head down off the paved road next to the county highway and look for the bass mailbox. Turn there and we're right down the driveway." your guests would be able to make no fewer than 15 wrong turns before finding your home.

* The elderly are out of control here. I thought when you got old you moved somewhere warm. Not so much the case here. Just try and drive the speed limit. Go ahead, I dare you.

* Home to some of the cheapest cars in North America. I shudder to think what is wrong with these things to be sold at the advertised prices on the used car lots. They must make Craigslist cars look like Bentleys.

* Line after line abound. I'm pretty sure it's because everyone uses cash like that Visa card commerical. I spent no fewer than four minutes in line to buy a Coke at the gas station and 10 minutes waiting on lunch at a Burger King. This does not help me at all. I'm a busy man.

* The highlight? Two Chinese buffets in town that I saw. That's gotta be up there in the per capita rankings, no?

No comments: