Sunday, November 25, 2007

Self-fulfilling prophecy

I'm looking over Amazon.com tonight and bemoaning the fact that we don't have as much disposable income as we've had in the past. There are a lot of good DVDs on the cheap, but I can't justify spending $50 on movies right now.

I'm working on justifying half that, though.

It reminded me of two things after The Girl chimed in with, "Oh, Cyber Monday!"

First is this tidbit from Al's Morning Meeting on the Poynter.org site:

BusinessWeek discovered in 2005 that not only was the Monday after Thanksgiving not the biggest day for online sales, it was not even in the top 10. BusinessWeek found that the biggest day fell somewhere between Dec. 5 and Dec. 15.

Secondly, it's strange to think that it was just a few years ago that I had to write and editorial explaining why shoppers would choose to shop online versus heading to the malls leading into the holidays.

Some people were terrified that they wouldn't get their gifts in time (if at all) and I had a discussion that was longer than it should have been to defend my position that it was perfectly fine to do all of your holiday shopping online.

Looking back, it reminds me of an ad I saw reprinted in a classic car magazine that was selling people on the idea of the toilet seat.

(Image from: PhoenixGame.com)

No comments: