Friday, October 24, 2008

Grasping at the cool straws

I was driving home last night and hit a dead spot on my radio presets. Moving from the one button to the six, I had a string of commercials that prompted me to start hitting the seek button to find something to entertain me for a few minutes.

One of the first hits was for Q101, Chicago's old standby for alternative music that was a fixture in high school. It hit me at that point that my radio isn't as cutting edge as it used to be.

I have WXRT, which is one of the best rock stations in the country, NPR, a country station, a 70s rock station, an adult Top 40 station and the blank station that I use for my iPod.

I'm betting that one of the signs of adulthood in the Chicagoland area has to be the extinction of Q101 on the preset dial and the addition of NPR.

I never saw it coming, but then again, if my radio somehow got stuck on NPR and couldn't be changed, I wouldn't be in a big rush to take it in for repair. Well, at least until the cash drive twice a year.

(Image from: MobileFun.co.uk)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny that you're mentioning this. I was just talking to my Dad the other day about how I must be getting old since I've ended up listening to many of the same radio stations that he does, particularly NPR. Meanwhile, I haven't listened to Q101 with any regularity in about 10 years. I still have a penchant for gangsta rap that will never be eradicated, though.