Thursday, January 17, 2008

Montana, huh?

Random thoughts from a day of travel, eventually ending with an evening in Bozeman, Montana:

* I flew fake business class - so, what would that be? Money-laundering class? Vandelay class? - which meant travel in the two rows technically in business class, but without the tech-heavy armrests or the service enjoyed by the other passengers.

I honestly never really knew what I was missing in terms of leg room by sitting with the cattle. The topper was my seatmate - a small woman, who even if she wanted to talk, didn't speak much English. Quiet, sleepy and tiny are my new favorite traits in a seat buddy.

* Montana is not what I'd expected. Of course, it's been grey and snowy the entire day - thus blotting out views of the mountains - making driving a real treat.

Honestly, unless the weather clears tomorrow before my flight, I'll remember one thing above all. Primarily, that I've been unable to stay clean, no matter where I've been in Bozeman. Between road grime caking the windshield and tailgate on my rental and the usual job site filth, I'll have laundry to do this weekend.

Still, I'll take the fall for getting chocolate chips all over my hands. My bad. Still a messy place.

It would be perfect for a Lysol commercial.

* Honestly, I'd like to come back at some point when it's warm. I hear there's grass and all sorts of things to see. Also, the state is just huge, so I imagine there's a lot of things to see.

When I was getting my rental car this afternoon, they asked if I planned on taking the car out of state. I asked if I'd be able to even make it out of the state in 24 hours. They didn't seem to think so.

Saying you're from Montana is like saying you're from Australia. I think it takes several hours to fly from end to end. (Sorry, I come from a tall state, so this is kind of new for me.)

* My hotel has no wireless internet. I'm not sure how this happens, but I have a wired connection. I'm searching the room for a few AOL trial discs, with 1,000 free hours.

* Finally, I'm not sure if people are just screwing with me, as I'm staying pretty close to a few small communities where people seem to know each other - or if they're just very friendly, but damn, is this a "nice to see you" kind of town.

Like, above and beyond what I'm used to. They put Minnesotans to shame.

(Image from: GreenwichMeantime.com)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They put MN to shame?! Wow.