Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Gone

As much as I love city life and really have no use for nature on a daily basis, I can't help but be fascinated by theories on what would happen if human beings were no longer around to cause problems.

There was a link off the Chicago Tribune's site today referencing a book by Alan Weisman that expands on those ideas and short snippets of how our homes and a city's infrastructure would collapse if humans were suddenly removed from the planet.

I'm sure it's a late tie-in to I Am Legend (down to the picture on the page), but it's still interesting.

It's almost enough to make me really pull for Tyler Durden's proposed revolution just to see what happens:

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

(Image from the excellently named ABowlofStupid.com)

No comments: